Monday, October 17, 2016

Visual Dynamics: Week 5, Rhythm and Proportion

Heavy/ Tough Character - Viking

This week, we explored proportion, and explored how it can be used to convey information about a character. For example, how the "Heavy" pugnacious character has a small cranium, large chin/jaw, large chest, and narrow waist (as well as other proportion details). These proportions can be used to make a character look tough or intimidating.

The "Heavy" pugnacious character, by Preston Blair:



To further explore the proportions of the tough character, we designed our own characters to these proportions. I chose to design a viking character.

Below: First sketch (left) and revised sketch (right). I made sure to make the viking have a small cranium but a large jaw. In the first sketch, the helmet made his head look not as small as I wished, so in the second sketch I decided to make a pointed helmet instead. I also made the viking have eyes that were small and close together, small ears, a large lower lip, large chests, long, heavy arms, huge hands, a small torso, thin legs, and large feet.


Below: The sketch with the proportions guide overlayed on top.

Caricature - Mr. Bean

We also created caricatures, in which we used Adobe Photoshop to exaggerate their most striking characteristics of famous people. I chose to do my caricature on Mr.Bean, using two images as source material.

Below: Source material images.


Since Mr.Bean is a goofy character known for his funny facial expressions, I wanted to use proportion to show his goofiness while exaggerating the facial expression shown in the left source image. I decided to try using Preston Blair's "Screwball" proportion.

Below: The "Screwball" type, by Preston Blair.
Image result for preston blair screwball

Below: Proportions of Mr. Bean caricature. I gave Mr.Bean a low forehead, elongated head, skinny neck, and pear shaped body to look like a goofy character.. I also exaggerated his facial features by giving him more wrinkles, arcing his eyebrows more, making him smile more, and increasing the size of his eyes, nose, ears, and mouth.



No comments:

Post a Comment